Not long ago, I was politely asked to make the model on the cover of Cold Hands less recognizable. The request was made by the photographer, although by the way the email was worded I have a feeling the model asked him to do it (the photographer said that he himself was not homophobic and I believe him). I didn't want to cause any distress to the model, so I agreed to change the cover.
After a quick deliberation, my designer at Scarlet Tie Designs and I decided to chop the head off. It was the easiest way to make him unrecognizable on the cover and I wouldn't have to do a whole new campaign with a brand new cover.
This has been massive work for me as I've had to re-scale the cover for various sales sites, re-format the Smashwords, PDF, mobi and ePub files. Upload them all to the sales sites and change the cover pictures on the sites as well. I've had to change the cover on my website, Goodreads and other sites where I'd displayed the old cover. On top of this, I've had to re-do the cover for Anthology One for both e-book and print versions, re-format the ebook files, upload and change the pictures just like with the Cold Hands cover.
Needless to say, I'm exhausted! I truly wish we lived in a world where men didn't have to feel ashamed to be on the cover of a gay male romance story (because this title is not erotic even though it has one mildly explicit scene in it).